Friday, March 18, 2011

Making Dreams Come True


I have had a couple of requests for a new blog - clearly my life is more interesting to others than I think it is!!!
It has been a whirlwind week - I have booked some exciting adventures and been out a LOT - which is great. I think I am finally finding my sense of belonging in this crazy busy City.

School has been going well. I seem to be getting letters from kids a lot recently about how I am their favourite teacher in the world (BLESS) but what I really like are the reasons *why*. It is nice to know what you are doing right, and also sometimes helpful to know what you are doing ... not-so-right! I have been working on a couple of art projects with my Year 4's; we have finished the one about journeys and are now starting one about Propaganda. I can recall teaching the concept of Propaganda to my Extension Year 7 kids last year, and they grasped it, but only at its simplest level. It is not an easy concept! To be asked to teach it to Year 4, but not really having any guidelines to do so, is a challenge in itself. I managed to get a smartfile from David MacMorran at MBIS, which he created for reading last year. I have to say I hoped to use it mostly as it was... but I had to dumbify it quite a lot. The cool thing was the speed in which I could receive a resource from NZ. Gosh the Internet is amazing.

Anyway.. I created a Propaganda poster (at a VERY simple level)


to show the Year 4s the process I had to go through. When I showed the kids they kept saying 'You're so good at art!' which I thought was really funny... and then I heard a couple say quietly 'I am never going to make something as good as that...' which made me feel quite sad. Especially when the one I had created (Propaganda within the school setting... strangling the plants by littering...Don't strangle our plants!) was somewhat simple. I then thought it was even funnier because I've never considered I am 'good at art'. Creative - yes. But art?? Not really. I talked to them briefly about Tim, my brother, who can draw anything you ask him to, hardly batting an eyelash. Then I thought about the cakes I have made.. and how they are, in a way, art too. (Sculpting!!). So I told them how I could not draw... but I could sculpt- and I never really knew it until I tried it. This lead onto a viewing of Chloe Staveley's 21st Sesame Street cake, and then my brother, Chris' 21st Starwars cake.



Oh my. I've never heard such awe. They couldn't believe I made them. Not only made them, but could put them on the Internet (GASP!). They also for a moment were not so sure I had really made them... and then asked could I please make one for them. Haha. I think... NOT. Some of them decided that they would like to really try at this next art project, because maybe this style of art would be something they found easier than the previous style. I know they will all be successful, I have created this activity around success! I am lucky that for the art I do with the class I have been allowed more freedom than what is in the curriculum and Borough planning. I am pretty much doing whatever I want. I quite like teaching art too.

Finding myself bored and alone at home caused me to go in search online of a really awesome holiday for Easter. I had considered doing the Pilgrimage walk in Spain, called Camino de Santiago with another new friend, Alison - who is Australian and works at Townsend on a Friday. I was quite keen for a random adventure... but when I was Googling, what should come up but ANZAC day tours! Since 3rd Form Social Studies with Mrs. Fairgray (remember her, anyone?!) I have thought what an amazing experience it would be to actually be at Anzac Cove in Gallipoli for an ANZAC day service. I cannot believe how excited I am to wake up at 2am and bus for two hours to get to Gallipoli and then spend an hour sitting on the grass in my sleeping bag on a cushion, waiting for the service to begin. But I am. Ridiculously excited. I am spending a total of 8 days in Istanbul, Turkey (the first three days/nights are by myself, then I join a tour) and then I fly to Cairo and travel to Giza in Egypt. I will be spending two nights on an Egyptian open decked boat that sails down the Nile, where I will be sleeping under the stars on over sized cushions with nine other people. It all sounds unreal right now... but it will be VERY real in a months time! More info about my trip, and itinerary can be found here for those interested: http://www.onthegotours.com/Anzac-Day/Tours-with-Egypt/Gallipoli-and-Giza-Tour

I never thought I would ever *actually* go to Gallipoli.... or see the Pyramids for real... but I am. I am sad I can't take Dad with me to Gallipoli because I know how much he would love to go. I will make sure I take photos... and I will also be attending the NZ service at Chunik Bair. (unreal!!!!) I think I get a commemorative hoody as well which is pretty cool! In fact if there are specific things Dad wants me to see... he should tell me!

I saw 'At The End of the Rainbow' on Wednesday night with my new flatmate, Cameron.

Cam and I at the show. Note the random old people who wanted to be in the photo!
We went to 'Eds', his favourite burger joint. It was an American themed joint, and was very cool, and so, so tasty! Cam was telling me how the shakes are incredible...I don't tend to be a shake fan, but then I saw Peanut Butter and Banana flavour. I was won over. It was INCREDIBLE. The burgers were excellent too! Cam then took me to Foyles book shop. Oh my. I was so excited I struggled to contain myself. There were drawers and drawers FULL of music, so neatly organised!
50% off SALE on Flute music? YES PLEASE!

Bliss for any musician!




I found some music (Mulberry Cottage, by William Lloyd Webber for Flute and Piano....which is something I played for school certificate music and the first time in my life that I got full marks for a performance... and from memory the first time I made my mother cry when I played!) and some other music too. Cam was amazingly patient, talk about best flatmate ever -he never lost patience with me taking my time, poring over the music! I think he found my enthusiasm and excitement entertaining! I will definitely be going back there!

We headed to Trafalgar Studios for the show, not knowing quite what to expect. Tracie Bennett, who plays Judy Garland, is AMAZING. I felt exhausted just watching her perform. I didn't realise that Judy Garland died here in Chelsea, London.


From what I know about Judy Garland, she was pretty hyperactive all the time, (given the drugs she was on) and struggled to sit still. This actress was on the go the entire time, moving around the stage (which was very cool... looked like a Ritzy hotel room) and for the first 15 minutes it was just dialogue.. ten to the dozen dialogue which at times was exhausting to process! Then... the back of the hotel room was raised and there was the 6 piece band. Amazing. There was a tripler (flute/clarinet/saxophone) in the mix too which was exciting. The band were fantastic - such a clean sound. The dry sense of humour from the man who played 'Anthony', Judy's pianist, was just what was needed to lift the darkness of the story. Two lines that stick out that I loved...
Judy: "My tits and my chin are in a race to my knees" and
Judy: "The hardest thing in the world is to know you are capable of something, but never getting there."

The ending was heart wrenching and tears were definitely streaming, but what an amazing finish - more songs. Of course 'Somewhere Over The Rainbow'. Wow. It was well worth it and such an amazing story...

On Thursday night, I headed to the Royal Albert Hall... what an AMAZING venue! I went and collected my ticket...
Me: "One ticket for Herbert please"
Ticket lady: "Just the one?"
Me: "Yes... I came alone"

The amazing Albert from the outside!
I then ventured to the gift shop... dangerous!!  I only spent £30, though easily could have spent more purchasing musical themed trinkets. And a present for Mum - but that is a surprise! I had an amazing seat- right in the middle, back row. The Royal Philharmonic were stunningly amazing, and the choir were fantastic too. The programme had all the stock-standard favourites - all were played brilliantly. The guest tenor (Wynne Evans) and baritone (Kevin Greenlaw) had voices to die for... wow.
The programme consisted of the following:

BIZET Pearl Fishers Duet
HOLST Mars The Planets
SOUSA Liberty Bell March
HANDEL Hallelujah Chorus
GOUNOD Soldier's Chorus Faust
VERDI Prelude to Act I La Traviata
STRAUSS Also Sprach Zarathustra
RAVEL Bolero
STRAUSS Radetsky March
DENZA Funiculi, Funicula
STRAUSS Blue Danube Waltz
MUSSORGSKY Great Gate At Kiev
BIZET Toreador's Song Carmen
SAINT-SAENS Finale Organ Symphony


What an AMAZING venue!

Look at all the balloons!

My view... pretty good!
At the start as the lights went down, I think I got a little overwhelmed that not only was I sitting in the Royal Albert Hall, but I was about to hear one of the world's best Orchestra's play. I had a wee cry as emotions took over, and several times during the performance I shed a tear or two, as the music was just so perfectly amazing. I had been waiting for it all night, and finally the moment came when the first few notes of Beethoven's 1812 Overture sounded. I had goosebumps as the haunting melody spiraled throughout the hall. I was well aware what was to come... I knew there would be canons and I had read there were indoor fireworks too... so when it came time for the canons to sound I was ready. Evidently the people around me were not - there was a lot of shock I can tell you! Me? I was just grinning and thinking 'This is *so* freaking cool!'. This kind of thing is most *definitely* my bag, baby!

The indoor fireworks were fabulous... they were coming at all angles (they were meant to look like fire coming out of the canons) and the Albert, being a giant circle. had fireworks criss-crossing in the middle, aiming for what looked like our heads. I think the view I had was by far the best - I could look down on everything going on - for example the laser lights which were perfectly timed to the music...that in itself was a treat! At the very end of the piece the canons went off again, and fireworks started at the front (stage side) of the Albert and fired one at a time around in a circle... amazing. It was a nice touch having the Moscow Militia dressed in their old fashioned attire... very Les Mis to be honest! At the very end thousands of red, white and blue balloons were dropped from the ceiling... incredible. I was so pleased I went and saw the show, and I will certainly be going again to the Albert again. They have a Symphonic Rock concert at the end of the month featuring music by Rock bands but played by the Royal Philharmonic, and they also have a movie music one in June... another which would be excellent. Perhaps I'll become a regular at the Albert!

Today is Friday. I have had such a busy week - and am ready for a bit of a lie-in! I am meeting up with Ian and Portia tonight, who I was flatting with at Brian Avenue. They've just moved back to London and I am really looking forward to catching up with them!!

So...dreams. I have always dreamed of going to the Royal Albert... now I've been there, done that! And I have always thought it would be a dream to go to Gallipoli/Turkey and Egypt... and I'm really going to be doing that. I'm certainly making my dreams come true this year. Now...where is this man of my dreams hiding?!

Until next time (with more exciting adventures, which I'm sure there will be!)
Cheery bye :)

No comments:

Post a Comment