Monday, May 23, 2011

My few nights as a Hobo

WELCOME BACK FROM EGYPT! Now you have to move out. By Wednesday. Even though today is Sunday. Good luck with that.

ARRRRRGH was my first thought! I was, however, lucky to have Cameron who told me to chill - not worry about and that we would work it all out. He was right :)

I was a little stressed about the fact I only had a few days to pack, although don't have that much (HA! Who am I kidding?) and it was even more stressful that I;
a.) Didn't have anywhere to move straight to.
b.) Had to move in the middle of the week, not the greatest time to move.

Luckily Cam and I have a wonderful, understanding landlord who did everything that she could to make the experience less stressful, for example allowing us to stay until the Saturday to buy us some more time which was such a god-send. I ended up getting in touch with my friend Zoe who lives in Queen's Park, and asking if she would mind if I came and borrowed her couch for a few nights whilst I worked out what I was going to do next... thankfully she said yes!

It didn't take long to pack - the most annoying part was that so many things ended up being thrown away, simply because I didn't know where I was going next, and I just had too much to carry. Zoe's flat got lucky and inherited all the really good kitchen stuff, so I am pleased it has gone somewhere rather than in the rubbish!

I spent Saturday - Tuesday night on Zoe's flat couch. Her flatties Tania and Lorna were so welcoming as was Zoe. I never once felt like a burden - even though I was well-aware that I had taken over their lounge. And my belongings seemed to be breeding in the corner of Zoe's room! Zoe was great - she forced me to not think about my lack of living space, saying I could stay as long as I needed to, and she took me out to meet some of her friends in the evening. It was a shame I was so exhausted, I did my best though and enjoyed the outing when I was more awake earlier in the evening!





Hehehe... my couch bed.


My now ex-landlord had offered me a room for the 10-11 weeks that I would require a room, if I needed it. I wasn't sure if she was just being nice, so I sent her an email message to offer her an out and not put her on the spot on the phone. She replied with a 'come when you like!' message, so I gave her a call and we spoke about how it might all work out. I am pleased to say I now live with Fola, who was our landlord at Lyham Road.

I am staying in her 14 year old sons room as he is off at boarding school. I have everything I need... somewhere to sleep, eat and shower...and store some of my stuff. I am so blessed to be here, and it is really great. Fola and I have had some great chats which I am looking forward to more of - we both always seem to have *plenty* to speak about! I like how relaxed I feel, knowing that I am settled until I officially leave London town on the 1st of August (or a few days before that... to be decided!)

So Brixton Station didn't end up being a good enough location for me to live... this is *much* better! I am happy I'll be staying here until I leave London town to go and travel for a few months. Ooh - and I have a second fridge! A Tesco Express Supermarket just at the end of the road... yussss!

Speaking of travel... I should probably fill you in on my plans after Summer term...
On the 22nd July the school year finishes. I have resigned from my position, so it will be my last term working there. I plan to leave London on or just before the 1st of August and travel down to Exeter, and fly to Italy for a week with Fran and David (second cousins). When I return from there, I plan to galavant around the UK countryside by train/coach and sometimes planes for three weeks. I will be spending time with Rodney and Gill in Portsmouth, Canterbury with Kat and her husband Simon (I went to school with Kat), Workington to stay with some distant cousins; Neil and Pam and then Leicestershire to hopefully spend some days with my friend Anne's parents. I will also be making stops in York, Glasgow, Edinburgh, Liverpool, Blackpool, Oxford and some other smaller places.

When I finish my three-four week trip I will again return to London, hopefully land myself a couch for a few nights before flying to wherever in the world Erin and Thomas Heatley-Smith are at in their campervan, and gate-crashing their trip for a week or so, before meeting up with my friend Scott who is arriving from NZ back in London again.  We will then do some traveling around together...location/s to be confirmed! I am looking forward to just traveling... and not much else! I have a job lined up in Auckland from the 7th November at my Principal's wife's school in Mt. Roskill. It is a 5 week position teaching the Year 2 class until the end of the year. I want to be home back in NZ before years end so that I can sort out my classroom at Murrays Bay Intermediate for 2012 and then enjoy the Kiwi Summer. By that stage I really would have done the travel I want to do. I am so looking forward to returning to Murrays Bay. I will bring back some experiences and ideas with me, but most of all I will be returning with renewed enthusiasm, ready to expand the minds of the kids in my class. I have missed having my own class, most of all.

Anyway, now everyone is in the loop of my plans...

Until next time...
Cheery bye :)




5 comments:

  1. You forgot about hanging out with us at some point dammit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No I didn't - that was weeks before this event! Before I even went to Turkey and Egypt... keep up, friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. But don't worry Thomas... there will be a point that I will be coming to hang out with you for a week... you're BOUND to get a mention!

    ReplyDelete
  4. yay!! I thought you would end up staying in the UK , but I guess you miss NZ way too much!!!!.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh Thomas... I stand corrected. I cannot BELIEVE I missed that out... it has now been amended... hope you forgive me!!

    ReplyDelete