Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Sleeper Train Vs. Seater Train

It has to be said- I slept more on the seater train than the sleeper. The seats are large like budget business class plane chairs, and recline quite far. There is a large footrest which is rather comfortable too. I think I managed about four-five hours of broken sleep which was about 3 hours more than I got on the sleeper train coming from Cairo to Aswan. I'm pleased the trip from Luxor to Cairo is a little shorter.

Things I haven't liked about the seater train? Well... The fact people can smoke in the carriages. I have had the itchiest eyes the whole time and my nose is clogged. Yuck. I hate knowing the air I am breathing for ten hours straight is contaminated. Knowing what I know about second hand smoke doesn't help. There is a tiny baby on board too :(

I also have not appreciated the men sleeping in the same seater train carriage as women. We (Kylie, Tash and I) are right at the back of a carriage by the door to the toilet, so it's high traffic. I don't mind the high traffic. I do, however, mind the lingering over me and staring thing. These men can't help it. It is disgusting. They don't even feel any shame in it. 

There was a rather gross older man, I'd say older than my Dad, who was sitting in front of me but on the other side. He was lying on his side and just stared and smacked his lips a lot. Revolting. I gave him a number of angry looks but it didn't deter, then he had his mate next to him and in front to have a look. 

I ended up rolling over and covering myself with my sleeping bag. At about 1.30am, I sensed someone was standing too close to me and opened my eyes to that same old gross man with his phone camera on me. It had a flash light on which makes me wonder if he was filming me sleep or taking photos. Both of which are degrading and made me feel pretty awful. But to say or do anything seemed a little scary as our tour guide was not in the same carriage, so again, I shot an angry look and rolled over, hiding my face in my sleeping bag. 

After we disembarked the train, Kylie told me how a man, who worked on the train, sat and stared at me on and off for the best part of two hours. Ace. 

So, I slept better on the seater train... But enough with the men already!!! Ugh!

PS: Just out of interest... Here is what we saw on the motorway on the way to the hotel in Giza;
• A lady with a baby who looked as if it had just learnt to sit up alone, sitting on the barrier in the middle of an 8 laned motorway. What the?
• A lady in full black cloak get-up, pushing what looked like a child wrapped in a white sheet (covering the whole body, head included) in a wheelchair begging for money. 
• A man selling pretzel breads. 
• A boy selling boxes of cigarettes. Like the ones you get from Duty Free. Omg. 
• A boy selling orange towels. 


Cheery bye :)

No comments:

Post a Comment