Monday, February 28, 2011

OHMYGOD! It's totally a theatre review of Legally Blonde!!

*Insert squealing girls here*

I'm on the train home to Brixton. What better use of my time than writing a theatre review. Because obviously everyone cares what I have to say about it haha! Before I start that - it was my first day back to school today after mid-term break. And it was *tough*!!! The kids were nuts, quite disrespectful and just consistently talked over me all the time. I had to do a LOT of reminding them that I refuse to accept their behaviour, and boy did they know I meant business. Hopefully tomorrow is a better day! But... on the flip-side I knew that I had yet another Music Theatre experience waiting for me in the evening, so I managed to cope with the day!


I went to the Savoy by myself, but I'm getting quite used to that now. My ticket was £18 and to be honest- my seat was retry great. Up high in the  gods but smack bang in the middle of my row! I managed to sneak a photo of the stage before everyone was told that no photos are to be taken in the auditorium. Oops. There are different rules at every theatre. How was I to know?? That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

The show was pinkalicious. It was so 'right now', 'totally in' and 'bend and snap'. I loved it. I loved the movie too and this show definitely does the movie justice. The girl playing Elle was excellent. A power-house of a voice in a pint sized body!

The guy playing Warner was quite flat- in voice and acting. He was rather boring to watch to be honest- but played the smarmy character well. I loved the characterisation of Paulette as she captured the trailer trash but amazing personality really well. The guy who played Emmett was also great- very lovable which is precisely the point of his character. They had real dogs!! A baby boxer and a chiuiawua for Bruiser (naturally!!!) and they were great- of course the audience always love real animals on stage- lots of 'awwwwww's heard from the audience. Hehe. I have to say that Kyle, the courier guy, was my favourite. I love his theme music every time he strides on stage. Very 'Bow Chicka Waa Waa'. I also love his line: "I have....a package". Bah haha. I also love how he was dressed like Steve Irwin. Hehe.

The set was fabulous- I'm so impressed with all these awesome stages in London that have mechanical flooring... we need a whole lotta money to do something like that at Centrestage!!! It makes everything so seamless though- and the set that appears is always a surprise! Suddenly you just notice it is there.

The use of the stage was excellent. I don't know much at all about good direction but I think I can safely say this director knows what they are doing. Characters appeared from all over the place to sing backing vocals or solo lines- everything was a surprise. I love that!

Sound quality outstanding - although for a West End show  I would think it unusual for it not to be great. The orchestra played underscoring pretty much the whole time. I like those kind of shows- as a muso you don't get bored sitting and waiting to play. Can anyone say "Hello Dolly!"??? LOL. I liked the flute/clarinet/alto saxophone combination score... who wants to do this show in NZ?? Any takers?

All in all a great show- I really enjoyed it. Lots of fun, lots of pink and lots of OHMYGOD!!!!

Oh, and PS:
Dear Legally Blonde. I would quite like to own Elle's shoe collection when you are done with it. Her feet looked about my size. K, thanks- bye!

Oh, and PPS:
Gay or European??

Oh, and PPPS:
Kyle (striding on stage in his khaki Steve Irwin courier man uniform, set to his Bow Chicka Wah Wah Music playing casually in the background)
"I have.... a package...."

Why yes, yes you DO! LOL!

No comments:

Post a Comment