Saturday, February 5, 2011

Whispering, Wicked, Soho and Chinatown


So being I had no voice but am not physically sick, I made the most of my Wednesday and went to the theatre. (Thanks Mum for this amazing suggestion!) I saw Wicked. Whilst not my favourite show it certainly had some fantastic points. The leading ladies Elphaba and Glinda (or should I say Gar-Linda... With a Garrrr) were stunning. Especially the girl playing Elphaba- amazing voice- gave me goosebumps whenever she opened her mouth. The set was like WOW. Quite amazing, all electric set changes, seamless! The storyline was very good - and had some deep themes running throughout which were cleverly woven together. 

I don't think I really "got" the dragon. It seemed a little random. Costumes were fabulous- especially the Emerald City ones. The music was tight although not many songs are particularly memorable... I can recall three right now. I didn't think it was overly appropriate for some of the orchestra to be jamming before the show and at halftime- I dunno, it felt inappropriate. The part for me would be piccolo, flute, alto flute and soprano recorder in C (which I listened out for but didn't hear...) All in all it was a great way to spend the afternoon- not talking! I didn't feel compelled to buy any show themed trinkets. Being a Wednesday it was not very full, but still I was seated in the God's - but still had a good view.


 Up in the Gods... but still a decent view :) And only £22 a ticket...

The Dragon... I didn't quite get... but looked cool!


I went back to work on Thursday, and was in Nursery, then Reception for the morning and did one-to-one writing with Year 5 in the afternoon. In Nursery there was a boy called D'Marni who is half Jamaican - amazing looking and such a bundle of excitement and fun. He comes up to me and said "Hello Selah" and I replied "Good Morning D'Marni! How are you?" His eyes opened up really wide and he said in the most serious voice "Who stole your voice? Where did it go?" so I explained someone must have it, and asked "Have you got it?" I then checked up his sleeve, in his gumboot and in his pocket. I looked at him and said, "Well, you don't have it...I better keep on looking". He looked up at me, shrugged his shoulders and said "Well, what can you do?". I had tears it was so funny. It is amazing the things these 3 year olds come up with - of course mimicked from their parents!


Later in the morning I was in Reception (5 year olds) and one of the boys, as dark as the night but the most beautiful wee thing, Jaiden, came up to me as I was lining the class up for 'dinner' (lunch) and wrapped his arms around my waist. He looked up and said "I really love you Sarah". I looked down and he was grinning up at me, then he started drumming his hands on my boobs!  I was like UMMMM????!!!!!!!  *KIDS!!!!* They are my school LOL's for the week!


I had some fantastic news this week, Friday morning. Sean Wallendorf (a boy in my class in my first year of teaching) emailed me to let me know that he is the Head Boy of Rangitoto College this year. I felt so proud! In the moments that followed that email I felt old. How can the kids in my first year already be in their last year of school?!??! But incredibly proud of him all the same :)


Flat update. Not much of an update really. We *might* be moving on Monday or Tuesday. But I have heard this *might* word so often, I don't believe it. So we are still in Tooting... but this is OK for now. I am looking forward to my own space though!


Today Bryce and I met up with Cristie in China Town (West End). As luck would have it there was plenty of entertainment, being Chinese New Year. (Kung Hei Fat Choy by the way!) so there was plenty to see - a Chinese Dragon dance and stalls etc. We ate lunch at a Chinese restaurant which was not great. (Remind me not to have Chinese again...) and from there we walked through Soho and into Covent Garden. We came back as far as the Strand and went into the Savoy Hotel for fun... we considered a High Tea but at £37 we decided today was not the day! 



It doesn't look very busy here... but it was!

Or fortune cookies...


From top to bottom: Bryce's, Crisite's and mine... Speculations eh???!! Cristie's was *freaky*. Bryce's was... Wha??!



We saw *another* Rolls Royce Phantom (they are far too common in London town!) and I have seen where Legally Blonde is on at, which is great as I am going on the 28th February. We went to the Australia/New Zealand/South Africa and Canada shop (very disappointing NZ section but Cristie got some Vegemite and some PawPaw ointment, so it was a win). We ended up having dinner at an Italian place and had an amazing three course meal and drink for under £20. Awesome. 


Musicals and theatres. How I love thee.

The troublesome trio

Common. Common as muck. But pretty to look at. 


All in all a good day - especially being we had no real plans. Sometimes those days turn out to be the best!!!


Until I have more exciting stories to tell you, 


Cheery bye :)

No comments:

Post a Comment