Friday, April 1, 2011

When OFSTED came to visit...

So today I am at home, sick, again. This seems to be a recurring pattern - so excuse me whilst I have a quick moan about it and then move on. I was off school sick *last* Monday with a sore throat, and it seemed to carry on for that week, into the weekend. I already moaned in another post about spending my Saturday in bed. I have been at school all week with this hideous pressure in my head that I've not experienced to this degree before. OFSTED (like ERO) inspectors were to be in at school on Wednesday and Thursday, and I was to be observed teaching music. On Wednesday the pressure was so painful - it was like someone was trying to squeeze my brain out of my ears. I knew that OFSTED were in at school, and that the Head teacher would freak if I took the day off, so I called in and asked if I could take the morning (I was only helping out in a Year 1 class anyway as my usual work had been cancelled for the day) and go to the Doctor, as the pain was actually now unbearable.

It turned out that the cold or whatever I had the week before had gotten into my Sinuses, and developed into Sinusitis. Now, if you have not had this before - OMG I do not wish it upon you. It is the most excruciating pain - it hurt to touch my face and put me off-balance! To anyone who has this as a recurring problem - I feel terrible for you. I am hoping I never get this again. Even just to tilt your head forward hurts. Rant over! I am hoping today is the last day I have off.

So I went into school at about 10.15am on Wednesday (after I had collected my supply of drugs from Boots) and helped out in the Year 1 class until lunchtime. After lunch was my music lesson with the Year 3 class. This is a class who have multiple behaviour/social and some mental concerns. Being there is only one class for each year level, it is just unfortunate there are so many cases in the one age group. I had planned what I thought would be a successful lesson, made a Smartboard resource, photocopied all the sheets I needed etc. I decided to have three groups for the follow up activities as this class work better in small groups. The OFSTED inspector was in the classroom waiting before I even arrived from teaching Year 6, so I walked in, said 'Hello', switched on the projector and went and collected the children from their classroom. I felt cool as a cucumber - I think having been observed on so many occasions at Murrays Bay, I didn't feel nervous at all.  I think observation is naturally a part of a teachers job. I know a lot of the other teachers were freaking out at the prospect of someone watching them teach. 

The lesson ran smoothly, the children were really engaged. Ooh - I can mention and thank Rob Dil here for the idea of using apples and pears for quavers and crotchets - the kids loved it and it worked a treat!  The inspector left at the close of my lesson (in time for him to hear me refer back to the success criteria....yussss!) and I finished the lesson off with the class. The engagement level was amazing. 

So, here in England, the OFSTED inspectors observe you- and meet with you later in the afternoon to give you some feedback. I figured being he had observed I might has well hear what he had to say...especially being that I have only been teaching core music for 11 weeks! A summary of what he said is below:

Things I did well:
  • He was impressed with the smart resource I'd created. He liked how I used the board and how I got the children to come up the front and interact with it. 
  • He thought I managed their behaviour really well. 
  • He thought he balance of the children listening and doing things during the lesson was outstanding.
  • He said that I had excellent content knowledge and the mix of visual/verbal/kinesthetic teaching was perfect for the type of class (lots of learning needs) 
  • He said that the pace of the lesson was perfect for the children. 
  • He liked the way I checked for understanding throughout the lesson.
  • He was well impressed I had the children form success criteria- AND referred to it during *and* at the end of the lesson.  
  • He thought the three group rotation activities I had planned for after the lesson we perfect consolidation activities for what I had just taught. 
  • He said I have excellent rapport with the class. 

Things to work on:
  • He said perhaps the teaching component (which was 20 min including warm-up) could have been shorter to allow the children time to do all three activities. I explained that I felt 20 minutes was perfect- especially being they were not just sitting and listening but doing activities during the lesson and interacting with the smartboard. I also felt that 20 minutes allowed me to see who was really having trouble with the concept. And the three activities- they can always do two this week and the last rotation the following week. I call that thinking on your feet haha! Justified well? I think so! Heh heh. He couldn't respond to that.
  • He also said I could have used my teaching assistant more during my teaching time. I used her to run one of the activities, which he didn't see. But during the lesson I wanted all children to focus on me and the lesson. Also being my TA (who is lovely!) hasn't got content knowledge it becomes difficult for her to know who understands it and who is doesn't- so assessment is not always going to be very accurate. I asked him for suggestions and he could not offer any ideas - so I am not going to worry too much about it. 

Being I am at home today I thought it the perfect time to search for flights to San Fransisco for the mid-term break, 28th May - 4th June. There are so many websites to trawl for the best deal it is insane. I am excited that I will be getting to catch up with Helen, who I went to school with, and will be staying with her - and she is going to be my tour guide... and it is one less holiday I have to spend by myself somewhere! A very exciting prospect. That, and I can say "Yeah - I've been to America..." haha. I have a few things planned, three trips within England. I am going to stay with Ian and Portia next weekend, and in May I have weekends planned for Porstmouth with Rodney and Gill, and Devon with David and Fran. I really am filling up available time with trips away :)

I took Cam to see "Million Dollar Quartet", £15 tickets. I had seen it already with Bryce but it was such an awesome show I was happy to go again. And I loved it the second time too! We got upgraded too which was great - we were seated in the Royal Circle in the middle at the back - the PERFECT view! I noticed things on the set I couldn't even see last time I came. These guys are *so* talented. I love that they play their own instruments, and for the most part sound like the character they are playing. The guy playing Jerry Lee Lewis is still my favourite - and the guy playing Johnny Cash, WOW has he got a vocal range - he sounded *so* much like Johnny. It was really easy to hear who the audience were fans of... big cheers for Elvis. Bigger ones for Johnny Cash. If ever you get the chance to see this show - DO IT!

Watch this - this is the cast I have seen twice :)


Until I have more adventures to tell...

Cheery bye :)

No comments:

Post a Comment