Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Phantoms and Trains...

Love Never Dies; exceeded expectations!!


I wasn't sure about a sequel to "The Phantom of the Opera" because it can be hard to top something that has run for 25 years. I think it helped that I went along not expecting too much. I was in for a surprise. I can tell you now- I prefer it to the original. 

They used a gauze screen for scenery etc - but it was used so well and so effortlessly that you forgot there was a screen- things would change before your very eyes and you'd feel as if you were traveling along with it. The lighting was superb. Dark where it needed to be- and bright when it should be. 

The costumes were incredible. They made me think of Michael Sanders. If you've seen anything he has designed the costumes for you'll get an idea of what I mean. They were extravagant. Like - really extravagant. I can say this because I could see every detail.... I was sitting with my friend Kylie, right in the middle of row 5 in the stalls. No expense has been spared with these. My favourite costumes were those of the Phantom's three "stooges" if you like. One of them was my favourite character- he looked like across between Johnny Depp
in "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" and the crazy mask man from the "Saw" movies- except was in black/white/gold. Stunning. 

The lady playing Christine had a beautiful clear soprano voice- she actually reminded me of Dani (those who know her). And the Phantom. Wow. Swoon. Fall over myself at his feet. Can he sing or what?! His name is Ramin Karminloo and he played Enjoras in the 25th Anniversary Les Miserables so you may have seen him... Wow. He can put his slippers under my bed and sing me to sleep. A voice like velvet- even the top notes which he hit with what sounded like effortlessly. It bothered me that Madame Giry now has an English accent... It removed some of her harshness which I think makes her character. Other than that she was consistent. I only saw Phantom in London back in February (gosh that was forever ago!) but the girl
Playing Meg could easily have been the same girl- she played her character well. 

Gustave. OMG. Oh my Gustave. The little boy playing him would be no more than ten and held up quite a major role in this show. He had a great voice- and was so cute! He had the "aaaawwww" factor down-pat! He sang acapella quite a lot and never faltered, or went out of tune. I know having worked with children (and some adults) before that this is no mean feat. He even held his own in the 6 part counterpoint... Amazing. 

Ok. The visuals. Wow. My mouth was hanging open at several points. There were *many* "....how'd they do that" moments which I am not going to spoil for anyone... But be assured that this show is a visual spectacular in every way. There is so much to look at and just when you think you've looked a everything on the stage- there's more! Parts of it were like watching some amazing circus. They even had girls on rings and swings up in the wings. Well not really the wings, the ceiling. But I liked how that rhymed haha! I really don't want to ruin the visuals for anyone so I can't say anymore about that... But the theatre magic was what really sold me on the show. 



The orchestra were fantastic. And there was a flute/alto flute/piccolo and clarinet part. Huzzah! The conductor was relatively young but excellent. I could see him quite well
And spent some time in the more sparse scenes watching his every move. The music itself was good- better than expectations having chosen not to listen to the show until I'd seen it. Amazing dynamic ranges that were forever fluctuating- loved it. I liked how there were little snippets of the original that poked through every now and again. Not enough to be in your face- but enough to remind you that this is the sequel. 

One downer? At the start in the scene like a circus the microphones were being knocked all the time. Hardly surprising given the movement going on- but all the same, distracting. There was a song in the show that sounded much like "He had it coming" from Chicago which I thought was funny. My favorite scenes were those that involved full company- simply because it was such a feast for the eyes!

I like how this new show is grittier, modern and pushes the boundaries of theatre. 

This is Sarah's Amazing theatre review for "Love Never Dies" in London Town... Over and out.




Aaaaannnnnd we're back. This time for a review of "The Railway Children" play...


So being I musically directed "The Railway Children" at Centrestage theatre last year, when I heard it was playing live at Waterloo Station Theatre I thought I'd be silly to miss it. I knew that this version was a play- not a musical, the same as what I had done. But it had finished a sell out season back in March in London, then went across to America and is back in London again - and here I am.

On walking into the station I was greeted by people in costume and character, waving flags and blowing train whistles. The train whistles were a nice touch. For about four minutes and thirty five seconds.... After that it just became irritating! As I stepped onto Platform 1, which was where my seat was- I was awe struck at the stage. The platforms are finished in beautiful dark wood with sliding platforms on the tracks which add more depth to the "stage". Perks house is adorable- and there were fabulous cases of all shapes and sizes. That's the good thing about London. Having been to several big markets I can safely say that old period cases are easy to come by!

I found my seat (which for the record was hideously uncomfortable- like more uncomfortable than the old AMT seats!) and was lucky enough to be sitting alone- there were seats either side which meant that I could pretty much turn my whole body to follow the performers who were forever moving along the platform.

On the tracks themselves were three moving stage platforms which were slid up and down by stage hands in blacks.  New sets came onstage using this method and sometimes people left the stage this way. I really liked this as it was all run by manpower yet looked relatively automatic.

At the start, before the performance started, characters all dressed in period costume came out and "waited" on the platform for their train. A nice touch. The costumes were as good as the ones we had, in fact very similar. The children were played by adults- Phyllis was by far my favourite, she had the most animated face and the best lines. 




There wasn't really any music, but I knew before I went that it was a play. There was, however, background music which was written especially for the play and was quite nice. Mainly Keyboard, Clarinet, Flute and Oboe. The full company sang a song acapella for Bobby's birthday which was quite nice. The dirt bank that collapses in the story, was in fact a mountain of packages- it looked impressive but it was confusing when Bobby was busy talking about the bank- yet there were letters and packages sprawling everywhere. Cleverly done, however.

It was really funny seeing all the characters move about the stage and acting like the people we had in our show with much the same lines. The Russian actually looked like Trav- and the mother moved about like Nikki and had the same hair! Made me smile.

I was waiting for the train... And it was worth the wait. It was amazing as it glided into the station and came to a halt. It was so shiny- green and gold... Almost fake looking... But she's real, alright! It looked really cool- how awesome would it have been if we could have staged our show last year inside a station. Only in London!! There is no shortage of stations! 



Being that we are inside Waterloo Station- the noise of the trains whilst authentic and mood setting, got a little distracting at times... But thems the breaks!!

Act II was good- shorter which is always good! I don't think I enjoy plays nearly as much as musicals. I get a little bored with the music to keep me entertained. I liked how they did he tunnel scene- where the boys run into it. They basically pulled a black gauze curtain along the length of both sides of the platform, so you felt like you were also going into the tunnel. Very simple but very good. I really liked the scene where Perks had a birthday- it's a shame we isn't have that as a scene really. I think the beauty of having songs in musicals is that they elaborate on the story and paint more of a picture. For example the mother gave some clothes to Schepanszky and instead of singing about her sadness that he was gone, she held onto his shirt for a while, sobbing. It felt a little awkward after a while! Perfect place for a song! 

I think I may be bias towards musicals.

I'm pleased I got to see this -it was really well done, and I enjoyed the touch of a real train in a real station. So novel!!! Oh, and Mum- your hamper was WAY better. Their props in there were a little lame. And Anna- I missed Posh Talk :(

So far I've had a busy week- and it is set to continue for the rest of the week. Tomorrow I am at my first love: The Royal Albert Hall, to see Michael Ball in concert. Very excited. Bless his dimples and curly hair!! And Saturday I'm off to Jersey Boys. I will blog about those two together I think... 



Such is the life of a Kiwi living in London... I am spending all my £'s on theatre and travel, and that is *just* the way I like it. I will be booking flights for Scott and I to go to Greece next week... it is all getting exciting now!!

Cheery bye :)

No comments:

Post a Comment