Saturday, August 27, 2011

They're alright, them up North

After a relatively stressful train journey from Carlisle to Preston, then Preston to St. Helens, I arrived safely on the St. Helens station platform where Geoff was waiting for me. The reason I found this journey stressful was due to my experience of not being able to get off the train when I was going to Salisbury, and this error added over an hour to my journey time... it meant that I was unable to read or listen to music and had a sick stressed feeling in my stomach - I was relieved when I was finally off the train at the right time and in the right place!

Brenda was waiting for us in the car- and goodness does Anne look like her! Geoff and Brenda are Anne Nellist's parents who live in St. Helens, so it has been lovely to meet and stay with them. On Friday we went to Speke Hall. This huge house has only been owned by two families in its history, the Norris family and the Watt family. Speke hall actually almost backs onto the Mersey River (insert song lyrics here... "So ferry - 'cross the Mersey, 'cause this land's the place I love, and here I'll stay.....' Tee hee.

The house itself is full of ornate carved furniture and original William Morris wallpaper which for the most part is all original, impressive really, as the colours are still quite intense. Apparently there is a ghost of a woman there, the grey lady...but she must have been going away for the bank holiday this weekend as I didn't see her!

Me outside Speke Hall, Liverpool

Geoff, Brenda and I outside Speke Hall, Liverpool

After we left there, Geoff drove us through Liverpool to get home again - which was a whirlwind look at the city as we will be going back there on Sunday. In the evening I went with Geoff to a local leisure centre to try my hand at archery - apparently I'm very good for a beginner; good stance. It was quite fun to give it a go, and something different for sure. I just need to find myself some Sherwood green tights... perhaps not!

Aim... and.... FIRE!

Today (Saturday) I was picked up at 11.30am by Joyce (Brenda's cousin) and her husband, Alan - who were to take me to Manchester for the day. The good thing about St. Helens is that it is nestled in-between two major cities, Manchester and Liverpool, and after about an hours drive (perhaps even less) we were in the City of Manchester! We found a park and then went to find our way to the main street where the Manchester Pride Parade was to be taking place. On the way we stopped off at the John Ryland's University Library, which was opened to the public in 1900 and built in memory of John Ryland, who was an English entrepreneur and philanthropist - and Manchester's first millionaire! He died in 1888 and left his fortune to his wife, who used two thirds of the money to build this magnificent library in his memory - it really is an incredible library, how I would have liked to go and study there!

So beautiful for a library!
How awesome to come and study here?

Every alcove is lined wall to wall with books, and a study desk. Wow.
We left the library and found a place on the footpath, ready to watch the Manchester Pride Parade - we were lucky as we were right at the front, just opposite the courts where all those looters were just a few weeks ago. About ten minutes before the parade was due to commence, a group of religious protestors with large yellow signs started to get vocal. It made me quite angry because I felt it was so unfair of them to show up with their signs and their microphone and rant on about *their* beliefs, on the one day of the year that the gay community express their pride to be who they are. Most parade spectators were manned with whistles, so were making enough noise to mostly drown the protestors out, and once the parade began, you could almost not hear them at all. It really did make me appreciate how I was raised to treat everyone the same - and accept people for who they are. It is a shame not everyone is like that.

Grrr. Whinge moan about how you don't like what you see - well LEAVE!

Love it. 

What made me smile was the amazing support from everyone else there, from so many walks of life. The Quakers were there-showing their support, the Police Force, the Fire Service, Ambulance Service - Teachers,  Sports People, TV Personalities- and many elderly were cheering their support. What a parade they put on. It was, as to be expected; loud, proud and colourful - but best of all... FUN! I couldn't stop smiling the entire time, so much that my jaw ached for an hour afterwards!

Wahoo the Police Force! Booing to the protestors :)

Lovely ladies...
There was *so* much free stuff handed out as well, which was awesome! I got a wooden spoon, multiple stickers, two blocks of chocolate, lip balm, rubber bracelet and a pen- just to give you an idea. So much more than what you get from the Auckland Santa Parade haha! I'm bringing my wooden spoon home to NZ I've decided! I loved watching how much *fun* the participators were having; laughing, singing, dancing and smiling - it made me feel so happy to be there. Then there was the eye candy. Oh MY- was there eye-candy. Sigh and swoon!


Clearly Alan, Joyce and I had found the perfect spot - we were right at the front, got all the free stuff, could see really well *and* could see all the action. By action I am referring to the elderly lady who was bopping away to the atmosphere, and the next minute she was down on the ground. I guess all this eye-candy in hot pants was just too much for her! Next thing we knew, an ambulance on bicycle came to her aid - amazing! I've not seen an ambulance cycle before, but what a brilliant idea!

"...I don't think the old duck could handle my, er, red hot pants..." (she's down on the ground, right hand side!)

So, what do *you* think each of these people are saying? Check out my photo on facebook to see what *I* think! Tee hee

Hooray for an ambulance on bike!
BAHAHAH! Love this! Love your balls campaign for testicular cancer, LOL!

I loved how the twirling nuns carried on down the street in front of the protest!

SPICE GIRLS!

Freddie :)

After the parade, Alan went his way to do the things he usually does when in Manchester, and Joyce and I got some lunch and then wandered around the City, which was fantastic as it was like having my own personal tour guide! Joyce shared with me what she knew about various buildings. We walked through a couple of HUGE shopping centres and had a coffee before meeting up with Alan and heading back into St. Helens. Inside one of the shopping centres was a wall which was covered in post-it notes, with messages from Mancunian's in response to the recent riots. It is incredible to think that this city had such a different feeling only weeks ago - which is the opposite to todays feeling, which was just happiness, love, pride and fun. 

Wall of Mancunian thoughts inside a shopping centre, Manchester

I had a wonderful day out with Alan and Joyce, and have now met someone else that Anne knows - I'm hoping to catch up with Alan and Joyce in NZ sometime soon so that I can somehow repay the favour! Tomorrow I am going to Liverpool for the day with Geoff - and going on the 'Magical Mystery Tour' which goes around all the major Beatles sites which I am *very* excited about! I'm off to Penny Lane!!! I've been so lucky to get the opportunity to be this spoilt and be taken out on day trips to both Manchester and Liverpool! 

Remember... 'All you need is love....'
Cheery bye :)


No comments:

Post a Comment